- Digital Contact Tracing Round-Table — Is Letting Companies Retrace Our Steps One Step Too Far? highlighting a conversation with Fellows Richard Whitt, Divij Joshi, and Federike Kaltheuner
- The New Possible a new site launched by Frederike Kaltheuner to serve as a collection of actions, policies and projects that COVID-19 has made possible and that were previously unthinkable.
- Surveillance won’t stop the coronavirus by fellow Petra Molnar in the New York Times
- COVID-19: Experts raise privacy concerns about Aarogya Setu app by fellow Divij Joshi in Down to Earth
- Indian Government launches Aarogya Setu app to track Coronavirus infections featuring fellow Frederike Kaltheuner
- CoViD-19 Related Government Digital Surveillance and Tech Measures in India by Fellow Divij Joshi
- India’s digital response to COVID-19 risks inefficacy and discrimination by fellow Divij Joshi and former fellow Amba Kak in Caravan
- Helping networks adopt RPKI amid COVID-19 by fellow Mohammad Abdul Awal in Pulse
- The power of organizing and networks in a crisis by former fellow Cori Zarek in Beek Center
- Rapid virtual meeting prototyping in the age of a pandemic by Mozilla staff Amy Raikar and Janice Wait
- During the Pandemic, the FCC Must Provide Internet for All by former fellow Gigi Sohn in Wired.
- The Theoretical Advantages and the Very Real Risks of App-Based Contact Tracing by fellow Francesco Lapenta in Data Ethics blog
- Teaching Computing during the COVID-19 Crisis by Fellow Kathy Pham, Jenn Beard and RCS Challenge teams
- Conference Tools Weren't Designed to Be Social Networks by former Fellow Caroline Sinders in Glitch
- Who (really) targets you? Facebook in Polish election campaigns by Fellow Karolina Iwańska and her colleagues at Panoptykon Foundation, Sotrender, and the ePaństwo Foundation.
- One of last year's Creative Media Awards projects - Stealing Ur Feelings by Noah Levenson - has been nominated for a Webby!
- Trustworthy AI in the time of a pandemic April 28 Twitter chat with Frederike Kaltheuner
- Dialogues and Debates panel: Contact-Tracing — Could letting tech companies retrace our steps be one step too far? Featuring fellows Frederike Kaltheuner, Richard Whitt, and Divij Joshi
- Wampum.codes Virtual Panel: Indigenous Tech and Indigenous Knowledge Dot Codes panel April 28 featuring Amelia Winger-Bearskin in coordination with Open Documentary Lab at MIT
- MOSS COVID-19 solutions fund
- On 3/31, MOSS announced a COVID-19 solutions fund. The fund will be providing awards of up to $50,000 for anything that’s open-source and which can help address the COVID-19 crisis. Applications have been paused at this time. Learn more.
- Applications now open for the Mozilla Fellowship for Tech + Society fellowship track
- Grant for the Web announced its first public Call for Proposals
- 3 new fellows announced
Updates from Organizational Partners
The organization in which many fellows are embedded have been working on meaningful initiatives and campaigns addressing COVID-19 and related topics, which we have included in this post:
The Internet Health Movement and COVID-19 - As more people than ever before rely on the internet, digital rights organizations are adapting their work to the pandemic. We’re sharing a roundup of the work our allies across the movement are doing. They include guides to working securely from home, research into how governments are tracking the virus (and, as a result, internet users), and much more.