The internet is fcked, for a lot of reasons: companies make money by tracking users and monetizing them to advertisers. Our search engines and social feeds are governed by algorithms that are biased in the same ways as the people who create it. False news stories online continue to confuse us as to what’s factual and what’s fake.
What can we do to combat this?
Well, things won’t change overnight, but you can take steps to start to fight back. The Mozilla Foundation has dedicated our work to calling out the various injustices that live online, in hopes of seeing things change Below you’ll find a list of works you can use to educate yourself as well as links to our campaigns to drive change. With your help, we can make things a little less fcked.
Here's what you should read next:
- Unfck The Internet
- Privacy Not Included
- The Internet Health Report
- Read the Misinfo Monday Series
- Learn about our YouTube Regrets Reporter
- Did you watch The Social Dilemma on Netflix? Check out our Social Dilemma Reading List
- The Tech That Helps Us & The Tech That Harms Us: Our Dialogues & Debates panel on the pandemic and racial unrest
- Urge Facebook To Stop Algorithm-Driven Group Recommendations During The 2020 U.S. Elections
- Urge Twitter to Pause Trending Topics During The 2020 U.S. Elections
- Urge Amazon To Stop Sharing Information With Police