Looking to learn more about or engage with Mozilla Fellows and Awardees around the world? Keep your eye on the Mozilla Foundation blog to stay up-to-date with regular updates about these leaders and their work by reviewing the current and upcoming news and announcements below. You can also see a directory of all Mozilla Fellows and Awardees here.
AI and internet health
News from current fellows and awardees
- EU Proposal Could Limit AI Use in Recruiting and Hiring featuring fellow Julia Reinhardt in SHRM
- Mactumactzá: derecho a la educación, acceso a internet y violencia estatal by fellow Alexandra Argüelles in Animal Politico
- Big Tech platforms are getting in the way of Africa’s vaccine roll out by fellow Odanga Madung in Quartz Africa
- The EU”s New Draft AI Law Explained by fellows Maximilian Gahntz and Julia Reinhardt in the Mozilla Blog
- Especial Afrofuturo: Por que é preciso pensar em futuros protagonizados por pessoas negras? featuring fellow Tarcizio Silva in Forbes Brasil
- A Corrida Colonial das Big Techs featuring fellow Tarcizio Silva in Ciência na Rua
- Siri and Alexa Don’t Support African Languages But This Nonprofit Swooped in to Offer 60 New Voices – Including Welsh featuring fellow Remy Muhire and Special Advisor for Africa Innovation Chenai Chair in Good News Network
- Google searches for new measure of skin tones to curb bias in products featuring fellow Deb Raji in Reuters
- Driving Feminist Data For Change featuring awardee Neema Iyer in Forbes Africa
- In Africa, Content Moderation Is A Dangerous Game by fellow Odanga Madung in WIRED
Fellowship and Awardee Alumni News
- Stealing UR Website by former awardee Noah Levenson in American Prospect
- Big tech uses mobiles to map your emotions featuring former awardee Noah Levenson in Future Intelligence
- CLTC Announces Winners of 2021 Cybersecurity Arts Contest featuring former awardee Future of Memory by Qianqian Ye and Xiaowei Wang
- This Is Why The Bigtime Dating Apps Haven’t Been Working For You featuring former awardee Ben Berman in Gossip Cop
Events and Launches (recent and upcoming)
- Fellow Sarah Kiden and former fellow Jabera Matogoro were on a diversity and inclusion panel at the Africa Internet Summit on May 28. See the recording here.
- A number of current and former fellows presented at RightsCon June 7-11. Read more about their sessions here.
- 2021 Tribeca Film Festival
- Former Mozilla Staff/Fellow, Brett Gaylor, debuted a new interactive documentary: www.discriminator.film
- Current CMA Team, GRX Immersive Labs, also debuted their project. Trailer here.
- Branch magazine’s latest issue launched, copublished by Senior Program Officer Michelle Thorne, features an interview with Special Advisor for Africa Innovation Chenai Chair. This online magazine published by Mozilla and partners recently won an Ars Electronica Award for Digital Humanity. The magazine explores the issue of a sustainable and just internet for all. recently.
- New coverage about the recent Common Voice Kiswahili launch: Siri and Alexa still don’t support African languages featuring Special Advisor for Africa Innovation Chenai Chair in Quartz Africa; Mozilla Working on Kiswahili Voice Assistants Across Six African Countries featuring Special Advisor for Africa Innovation Chenai Chair in CIO Kenya