Withings' little smart thermometer lets you take a temperature without coming in contact with the body, which is cool because sick people are sweaty. It's got a brightly lit display that can track the temperature readings of up to eight people. And it will sync temperature readings with the smartphone app automatically over WiFi so no need to Bluetooth sync. Based on your temperature and symptoms the app can recommend when it's time to take action. So, will Withings overshare with the world that you have a fever? Well, actually, their privacy looks pretty decent to us.
Co się może stać, jeśli coś pójdzie nie tak?
Withings says that “[r]espect for privacy is a core principle that we place at the heart of our strategy for developing our Products and Services.” Better, they seem to sincerely mean it. They actually apply the European Union's stronger privacy regulation GDPR all over the world, even in places they don't have to apply strong privacy laws. That's so cool! If more companies could do this we'd be so happy.
We’re kinda speechless honestly since we usually use this space to air our grievances. Withings even created a handy guide about “How to manage and protect your Withings data.” This might be a first. It tells you about all of the health data that’s collected, how you can import more, how you can download it, delete it, and other helpful advice. It seems like Withings genuinely wants to put you in control of your health data which feels, sadly, super rare in the whole health-tracking space. Bravo, Withings! (They’re French.)
This is all great news for a device that takes your temperature because you don't need the world knowing just how hot you are (or if you have a fever).
Wskazówki, jak się chronić
- Check the comprehensive Privacy User guide to check all your options.
- Do not sign up with third-party accounts. Better just log in with email and strong password.
- Chose a strong password! You may use a password control tool like 1Password, KeePass etc
- Use your device privacy controls to limit access to your personal information via app (do not give access to your camera, microphone, images, location unless necessary)
- Keep your app regularly updated
- Limit ad tracking via your device (eg on iPhone go to Privacy -> Advertising -> Limit ad tracking) and biggest ad networks (for Google, go to Google account and turn off ad personalization)
- Request your data be deleted once you stop using the app. Simply deleting an app from your device usually does not erase your personal data.
- When starting a sign-up, do not agree to tracking of your data if possible.
Czego można użyć do rejestracji?
Konto firmy trzeciej
Jakie dane zbiera ta firma?
Name, surname(s), age, email address; in some cases your location Optional: profile picture
Związane z ciałem
Jak ta firma wykorzystuje te dane?
Jak możesz kontrolować swoje dane?
Jaka jest znana historia tej firmy w zakresie ochrony danych użytkowników?
Withings was heavily criticized in 2023 for presenting the new product: Withings’ U-Scan, an in-home, WiFi-connected urinalysis device meant to soon read one’s urine composition for health factors regarding pH balance, nutrition, and even users’ menstrual cycles.
The product earned the CES ‘Worst in Show 2023’ award in 'Privacy' nomination - from PIRG, JerryRigEverything, iFixit, Repair.org, EFF, Consumer Reports, and SecuRepairs.
“The U-Scan is a body surveillance device that indefinitely stores your private health data, including information about pregnancy and fertility,” writes Caitlin Seeley George, campaign director for the digital privacy rights advocacy group, Fight for the Future.On Withings’ legal policy page, the company notes that they “may be compelled by the law to disclose your personal data to some authorities or other third parties, such as the the law enforcement or legal authorities.”
Informacje o prywatności dziecka
Czy ten produkt może być używany bez połączenia z siecią?
You will need either WiFi or Bluetooth to use this device.
Przyjazne dla użytkownika informacje o prywatności?
Odnośniki do informacji o prywatności
Czy ten produkt spełnia nasze minimalne standardy bezpieczeństwa?
Zajmuje się problemami z bezpieczeństwem
Zasady ochrony prywatności
Masz uwagi? Podziel się nimi z nami.