Want a premium fitness smartwatch with all the bells and whistles...and buttons? Well, here you go. Garmin's Epix smartwatch is fancy with it's high end screen glass and workouts and long battery life and more. It also tracks all the steps, heart rate, pulse ox, stress, sleep, body battery, and other body-related info you can imagine. Strap it on and do a workout from an app, get coached up, see your performance metrics, and gauge your stamina. But best of all, if touchscreens can be tough to work with your big fingers, the Epix also has physical buttons on the side just like your favorite Casio watch back in the day. Great! Even better, Garmin does a pretty good job at protecting your privacy with all that health data it collects.
Wat kan er gebeuren als er iets misgaat?
Here’s what this privacy researcher likes about Garmin. Yes, they do collect a good bit of personal information through the device and on the Garmin Connect app because that’s what a fitness tracking smartwatch does. They collect data like email address, device information, location, and all that body related data like physical activity, stress, sleep patterns, heat rate, pulse ox, and more. The good thing is, yes, they collect it, but they also seem to protect it.
Garmin also seems to do a pretty good job securing the personal information they collect. However, they did suffer that very public ransomware attack in 2020. Ransomware attacks suck and it seems no company is safe from them these days. Good news though, no user data was actually compromised in that attack, so, once more, good work Garmin.
Is your intrepid privacy researcher happy with her decision to get a Garmin fitness tracker? Yes, she is. Although it does make her a little nervous that she now leaves her phone's Bluetooth on all the time. But hey, knowing that body battery score is really cool! What’s the worst that could happen with your fun Garmin fitness tracking smartwatch? Well, hopefully nothing, but do beware if you link your data to other third party apps like Strava and MyFitnessPal. Those apps come with their own privacy policies and every time you share your personal information with someone else you increase the vulnerability of that personal information.
Tips om uzelf te beschermen
- Be very careful who you choose to share your Garmin wellness data with.
- Adjust your privacy settings in the Garmin Connect app to suit your comfort level.
- Don't connect your Garmin app to any social networks like Facebook, WeChat, etc.
- When you no longer use the app, go to "Delete account" in the app menu.
- Turn off precise location sharing!
- Use your device privacy controls to limit access to your personal information via app (do not give access to your camera, microphone, images and videos).
- Keep your app regularly updated.
- Limit ad tracking via your device (eg on iPhone go to Privacy -> Advertising -> Limit ad tracking) and biggest ad networks (for Google, go to Google account and turn off ad personalization).
- Do not sign up with third-party accounts. Better just log in with email and strong password.
- Chose a strong password! You may use a password control tool like 1Password, KeePass etc.
- Request your data be deleted once you stop using the app. Simply deleting an app from your device usually does not erase your personal data.
- When starting a sign-up, do not agree to tracking of your data if possible.
Wat is er nodig om u aan te melden?
Account van derden
WeChat, QQ, Google, and Apple log-ins available
Welke gegevens verzamelt het bedrijf?
Name, email address, gender (optional), age (optional), date of birth (optional), photos (optional)
Activity data, such as menstrual cycle information, steps, distance, pace, activity time, calories burned, heart rate, sleep, location, golf stats, etc.
You can add friends to see their activity data
Hoe gebruikt het bedrijf deze gegevens?
Hoe kunt u uw gegevens beheren?
Hoe staat het bedrijf bekend als het gaat om het beschermen van gebruikersgegevens?
They did suffer that very public ransomware attack in 2020. No user data was compromised during this attack.
Privacyinformatie voor kinderen
Kan dit product offline worden gebruikt?
Garmin has an easy to find list of all privacy policies. The privacy policies are relatively simple to read.
Koppelingen naar privacy-informatie
Voldoet dit product aan onze minimale beveiligingsnormen?
Garmin devices and apps use a combination of asymmetric and symmetric encryption appropriate to the nature and function of the product, and data stored/transmitted.
In order to use companion apps, an account with a strong password is required.
Garmin uses Machine Learning (ML) to provide personalized insights to customers who wish to receive them as they pursue their fitness and wellness goals.
Is deze AI onbetrouwbaar?
Wat voor soort beslissingen neemt de AI over u of voor u?
Is het bedrijf transparant over hoe de AI werkt?
Heeft de gebruiker controle over de AI-functies?
Garmin’s New Aviator Watch Partly Addresses a Risk the War in Ukraine Is Highlighting – MicrotargetingForbes
A Cyberattack on Garmin Disrupted More Than WorkoutsWired
Pregnancy Tracking with GarminGarmin
Using the Menstrual Cycle Tracking FeatureGarmin
Ransomware attack on Garmin thought to be the work of 'Evil Corp'The Guardian
The Garmin Security Breach: Here’s What You Need to KnowTerra Nova
Hebt u een opmerking? Laat het ons weten.