It’s go time! We anticipate that the Data Protection bill will be tabled in this Parliament session (June 17th - July 26th). This is huge -- while it’s a step forward in many ways, the bill urgently needs edits to effectively uphold our privacy and needs to be sent to a standing committee for further review.
As a strong and loud community we are planning a postcard action to be sent to Members of Parliament as soon as the bill is introduced, urging them to demand that the bill is sent to the Standing Committee for a thorough review. This will provide an opportunity to highlight the concerns of citizens and experts on the content of the bill!
- Download the postcard files (front & back) and get them printed on 300 gsm matte finish paper. Size: 14.5 cm X 10 cm.
- Gather your community members, peers, friends etc and fill in the postcards together (any citizen can participate!)
- Leave the name of the MP blank for now (we will manually add these in closer the date of when the bill is introduced).
- In the box ‘Our Concern’ we recommend you choose one of these 4 points.
- Lack of independence of the regulator
- Right to object to processing of data
- Lack of protections against government use of data & surveillance
- Blanket data localization
- Sign your name & state at the bottom of the postcard
- On the front side of the bill feel free to write a message (in english or your regional language)
- Take pictures of your group signing postcards, these will be shared as part of our press release with the media.
- Using a courier service (e.g. DTDC) send the filled postcards in express delivery to: Alok Ranjan, K1/82 C R Park Main Road, New Delhi 110019
- Send the tracking number of the courier + pictures from the signing to Alok Ranjan ([email protected] OR Telegram @alokranjan30)