Looking to learn more about or engage with Mozilla Fellows and Awardees around the world? Keep your eye on the Mozilla Foundation blog to stay up-to-date with regular updates about these leaders and their work by reviewing the current and upcoming news and announcements below. You can also see a directory of all Mozilla Fellows and Awardees here.
AI and internet health
News from current fellows and awardees
- Creative Media Awardee, Alton Glass’s project POV has been selected for Tribeca Film Festival’s Immersive Line up.
- Why EU needs to be wary that AI will increase racial profiling by fellow Fieke Jansen
- Julia Reinhardt's “Policies We Need: talk for EmTech Digital 2021, the MIT Technology Review's annual AI conference
- MIT Technology Review’s EmTech Digital Conference Has Some Interesting Tidbits featuring fellow Julia Reinhardt in Forbes
- Google Faces Ongoing Backlash from AI Researchers featuring fellow Deb Raji in Breitbart
- For Humanity announces crowd-sourced project to support compliance with new EU artificial intelligence regulation featuring work from fellow Julia Reinhardt in For Humanity
- Click: Is AI biased? Featuring fellow Deb Raji in BBC
- Antirracismo, tecnologia e inteligência artificial no Brasil: um papo no Mozfest, da Mozilla featuring fellow Tarcizio Silva in Gizmodo
- How to Web Monetize your Content and Support Creators Online with Micropayments by Fellow Amber Case
Fellowship and Awardee Alumni News
- Europe Must Act featuring fellow Petra Molnar from No More Camps
- Moria 2.0: The EU’s sandbox for surveillance technologies featuring fellow Petra Molnar in Euractiv
- GISWatch 2020 launch: Technology, the environment and a sustainable world featuring former fellow Danae Tapia
- Building AI for the Global South featuring former fellow Divij Joshi In Venture Beat
- Caroline Sinders recently launched a new project, Explainable Artificial Intelligence, a Collection of Critical Essays that looks at how AI-driven systems on social media platforms and public spaces impact our human rights and transform our realities.
- Check out Daniel Leufer’s article for Access Now “Computers are binary, people are not: how AI systems undermine LGBTQ identity”
- Phillip Smith launched a new company Journalism Growth Lab.
- Andre Maia Chagas launched Open Hardware Makers at the Open Hardware Summit (listen to his talk here).
- After Shave, Uber Driver Says Firm Blocked Him For Selfie Mismatch featuring Divij Joshi in Zenger News
- Two of our former Creative Media Awardees are finalists for Webby Awards. If you're the voting kind, please consider a click for In Event of Moon Disaster: Net Art and Art & Experimental Video. Also Stephanie Lepp's "Deep Reckonings" (also a Creative Media Award from 2019-20) was also nominated for a Webby. You can vote for her here.
- Data Talk: Non EU perspective on EU regulation featuring fellow Julia Reinhardt on April 9
- May 20 Ajv: changes in 2020/21 and version 8 release
- Session recordings from MozFest: There were dozens of fellows and awardees from across the community and across the world who not only attended MozFest, but decided to facilitate sessions across a breadth of topics. Many of their sessions were recorded and are available to view here through June. MozFest ticketholders can still view content here and non ticket holders can view on our YouTube channel. You can find links to sessions run by fellows and awardees in the Fellowship and Awards updates blog from last month.
- Chenai Chair (previously a Mozilla Tech Policy Fellow) began serving as Special Advisor on Africa Innovation to the Fellowships and Awards Team this April. Chenai is based in Johannesburg, South Africa and will be focusing on the development of Mozilla’s movement building work for the panMozilla Africa Innovation Mradi, a joint initiative to increase engagement in the African continent. She will also be supporting fellows as part of the expanded Common Voice project.
- The European AI Fund, a donor collaborative of which Mozilla is a founding member, announced the cohort of grantees from its first open call. The Fund is intended to support European civil society to increase its capacity to tackle issues related to trustworthy AI.
- Grant for the Web, a grant program of which Mozilla is a founding collaborator, announced an open call for Technical Scholars, which is an opportunity for browser engineers looking to build web monetization into the web platform.