Looking to learn more about or engage with Mozilla Fellows and Awardees around the world? Keep your eye on the Mozilla Foundation blog to stay up-to-date with regular updates about these leaders and their work by reviewing the current and upcoming news and announcements below. You can also see a directory of all Mozilla Fellows and Awardees here.
AI and internet health
News from current fellows and awardees
- Hey Siri, Learn to Speak Kinyarwanda — featuring fellow Remy Muhire and Special Advisor for Africa Innovation Chenai Chair in Reasons to be Cheerful
- In Africa, Content Moderation Is a Dangerous Game — by Odanga Madung in WIRED
- Twitter to offer reward for finding biases in algorithm — featuring Deb Raji in Tweakers
Fellowship and Awardee Alumni News
- Hyperaudio for Conferences and Grant for the Web — featuring former OpenNews fellows Mark Boas, Dan Schultz and Annabel Church
- Carrie Sijia Wang (a CMA award alum from 2019-20) will be at Siggraph 2021 in the Art Gallery section with “An Interview with Alex” in August 2021
- Investigation: How TikTok's Algorithm Figures Out Your Deepest Desires — featuring Guillaume Chaslot
- Rebalancing power dynamics: how data institutions can help empower people and communities — featuring Data Futures Lab Fellow Anouk Ruhaak
- Human Autonomy and Making the Web More Trustworthy — Featuring Data Futures Lab Fellow Richard Whitt in conversation with former Mozilla Fellow Ayden Férdeline
Events and Launches (recent and upcoming)
- Responsible Computing Summit took place on 27th of July
- Digital Censorship: A July 27 Virtual Panel — The latest installment of MozFest Dialogues & Debates series featuring Odanga Madung.
- Community Health Report 2020: Building Stronger Communities — The case for mental health support for digital rights defenders — launched in July by Team Community. The report is the first of its kind and provides a snapshot of the health and wellbeing of digital rights networks around the world, including the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- It's Good to Talk: How to Donate Your Voice to Help the Future of Speech Recognition — Common Voice coverage included this piece in PC Magazine editions in US, UK, Australia and India
- Common Voices strives to represent languages neglected by big tech — more Common Voice coverage, here featuring Chenai Chair in Optimist Daily